Waste Transfer Station Attendant (Casual & Part-time) Public Works
Municipality of North Grenville
POSTING #: PW-2023-014
North Grenville is a growing municipality located in eastern Ontario housing a unique blend of small town and rural culture. Comprised of an urban centre (Kemptville) and surrounded by several charming rural hamlets, North Grenville is situated between Canada’s National Capital – Ottawa and the St. Lawrence River, only a 30-minute drive along the Veterans Memorial Highway (416), to either destination.
The Municipality of North Grenville is seeking to fill the part-time, casual position of Waste Transfer Station Attendant. Interested applicants may submit a cover letter and resume outlining qualifications in confidence to Human Resources.
Please quote “PW-2023-014”.
Under the direction of the Waste Transfer Station Lead Hand, organizes and coordinates the collection and disposal of solid waste and recyclables.
The position will require:
- Knowledge of provincial requirements for waste disposal
- Good interpersonal, customer service, and communication skills
- Previous cash handling experience including the ability to balance financial transactions considered an asset
- Skid steer loader training is considered an asset but willingness to obtain
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Standard First Aid and CPR required or willing to obtain
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate considered an asset, but willing to obtain
- Valid and satisfactory Police Records
- Valid and in good standing Class G driver’s license
- Opens and closes the Waste Transfer Station
- Performs all duties in accordance with the site environment certificate of approval
- Utilizes the equipment to contain all deposited waste within the Cover-All, assist with unloadingtrucks, routine maintenance, push-up brush pile, and snow removal
- Directs the public to the proper area for disposal of waste
- Processes recyclables including sorting and recycling of cans, plastic, paper, cardboard,clear/coloured glass and transportation arrangements
- Removes waste deposited on road allowances and other sites
- Processes household hazardous waste into appropriate shipping containers
- Determines applicable tipping fees according to the volumes and categories of waste brought tothe site, issues invoices or collects the necessary fees
- Assists with the maintenance of equipment and waste site
- Transfers cash, invoices and other relative information to the municipal office
- Responds to public or other inquiries relative to waste site procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Requires steel toe safety shoes and clothing
- Ability to lift and move objects under 50 pounds
- Capable of performing essential physical requirements of the position
- Attend meetings and training as required
- Ability to work any assigned shifts Monday - Saturday
- Exposure to elements such as inclement weather, heat, chemicals, dust and waste site environment
- Some travel involved outside of the Municipality for meetings, conferences and training as required
The salary for this position currently pays $17.33 to $19.48 per hour.
We thank all those who apply; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Municipality of North Grenville is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and any other applicable legislation throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.