North Grenville is a growing municipality located in eastern Ontario housing a unique blend of small town and rural culture. Comprised of an urban centre (Kemptville) and surrounded by several charming rural hamlets, North Grenville is situated between Canada’s National Capital – Ottawa and the St. Lawrence River, only a 30-minute drive along the Veterans Memorial Highway (416), to either destination. Alternatively, for a more leisure journey, North Grenville offers the historic Rideau River managed by Parks Canada.
The Municipality of North Grenville is seeking to fill the position of Deputy Clerk in Corporate Services Department. Interested applicants may submit a cover letter and resume outlining qualification in confidence to Human Resources by Wednesday, February 8th, 2023, no later than 4 p.m. EST.
Please quote “CS-2023-001”.
Mail: Municipality of North Grenville
285 County Road 44, P.O. Box 130
Kemptville, ON K0G 1J0
Reporting to the Clerk and Director of Corporate Services, the Deputy Clerk provides assistance to the Clerk and Council through the Corporate Services Department and the CAO’s office and provides leadership support to Municipal Committees.
• Post-secondary education in Public Administration, Political Science, Business Administration or equivalent is required
• Minimum 2 – 4 years of experience required in a municipal environment
• AMCTO Municipal Administration Program (MAP), equivalent desirable or willingness to obtain
• Superior customer service, interpersonal skills, and political acumen combined with excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills and the ability to balance diverse, changing and conflicting priorities
• Demonstrated ability to work independently
• Strong team and leadership abilities
• Ability to assist in the administration of sensitive information with all levels of municipal staff and government agencies
• Ability to think and act strategically in a political and community service environment, and to foster and contribute to a positive and productive work environment
• Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office applications, office equipment, agenda management, presentation and database software, and Web-based applications
• Experience in meeting management software (eScribe) considered an asset
• Valid and satisfactory Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
• Acts as the Clerk in the absence of the Clerk and provides assistance to the Clerk including attending and recording proceedings of Council as required, including minutes preparation, disposition of resulting actions, identification of reports requiring by-law preparation, etc.
• Acts as the Deputy Returning Officer for Municipal Elections
• Acts as deputy division registrar for deaths and marriage licences
• Act as Commissioner of Oaths, issues lottery licenses and manages the administration of the cemetery
• Provides advice and assists the Clerk and the Records and Legislative Coordinator in maintaining the records management and retention system for municipal records/files.
• Provides leadership support (preparation of agendas and minutes) and procedural advice to Committees of Council and staff liaisons
• Provides administrative support to Council, the Clerk, and the Corporate Services Department
• Prepares and reviews reports, minutes, memos, agendas, notices, policies, and confidential documents
• Performs other duties relevant to the position as assigned
• Based on a 35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, on-site.
• Work is conducted in an office environment, ability to sit or stand, often in front of a computer monitor, for long periods of time
• Ability to lift and move objects of under 50 pounds
• Attend meetings, and training as required, including evenings and weekends.
• Some travel involved outside of the Municipality for meetings, conferences and training as required
• The salary for this position is $32.98/hr
• Based on a 35-hour work week. Regular office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
We thank all those who apply; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Municipality of North Grenville is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and any other applicable legislation throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.