Meetings are held the third Thursday of each month beginning at 6:00 p.m. and are open to the public. Meetings may be held in-person or virtually. Please see the Subcommittee agenda for details on how to attend.
Meeting dates and packages including minutes, agendas and documents can be found on the main Agendas, Minutes and Videos page.
The Tourism Advisory Subcommittee will operate under the Community and Economic Development Advisory Committee (CEDAC). The purpose of the Tourism Advisory Subcommittee is to:
- help create a climate which stimulates the development of tourism and promotes awareness of community-wide initiatives
- provide recommendations to Council by way of CEDAC on items that further the implementation of North Grenville’s Tourism Strategy
- identify issues and opportunities to support the growth and development of tourism as an economic, community and cultural driver in the Municipality of North Grenville
- oversee the development of tourism locally by helping to strengthen the overall ‘visitor experience’ through marketing and product development
- identify and encourage the development of strategic relationships with key external stakeholder businesses and organizations that the municipality could partner with to advance or enhance the implementation of the North Grenville Tourism Strategy
The Subcommittee shall:
- facilitate the development of the local tourism economy through identifying strategic priorities, and ensuring that there is an alignment between the tourism related objectives, North Grenville’s Tourism Strategy, activities of the various local partners and between local and regional initiatives
- provide expertise as they are able and communicate and/or meet with subject matter experts, to arrive at recommendation(s) for Council, by way of CEDAC
- advise CEDAC on the best use of available resources in order present to Council
- establish short, medium and long-term goals and objectives for tourism development in the
- research and present to Council on behalf of CEDAC, questions, challenges and/or issues that pertain to tourism in North Grenville
- offer advice and feedback to Council, by way of CEDAC, on tourism programs and project budgets
- deliver advice to Council by way of CEDAC on plans of the Municipality and consider matters of interest
The Subcommittee shall have regard to the shared priorities of the Council Workplan and forthcoming Community Strategic Plan.
The Subcommittee shall be comprised of the following individuals with voting rights:
- Maximum of 5 and a minimum of 3 local tourism business owners
- 1 member of Council
- 1 member of the Community & Economic Development Advisory Committee
- 1 member of the Old Town Kemptville Business Improvement Area Board of Management
- 1 member of the North Grenville Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
A staff person(s) from the Economic Development division must also attend meetings as a liaison(s) to the Municipality. The Tourism Coordinator will also attend all Subcommittee meetings.
In considering the appointment of voting members to the Subcommittee, Council shall consider the following criteria for members of the Subcommittee:
- tourism operator/business owners from the tourism sectors,
- individuals who are prepared to commit to the responsibilities and duties required of them in their work on the Subcommittee,
- individuals who are familiar with the tourism/hospitality industry
- highly experienced individuals who possess unique skills and/or experience which will benefit the work of the Subcommittee,
- community members who have a very good or unique understanding of the current local tourism climate,
- individuals who understand that a strong commitment to this Subcommittee is required, which means attending the majority of meetings and/or tourism events
- individuals who understand the possible requirement for closed session meetings, conflict of interest and rules of non-disclosure
- individuals who are willing to fulfill procedural regulations as outlined by the Committee Handbook and Procedural By-Law
The Subcommittee shall endeavor to have at least one member under the age of 25 and shall endeavour to be gender balanced.
The Subcommittee, by a majority vote of its members, may recommend to Council on behalf of CEDAC to remove any member of the Subcommittee who does not fulfil their obligations under their appointment.
The Subcommittee shall elect a Chair and Vice Chair from among its volunteer members. The positions will be elected by a secret ballot by a majority of the voting members of the Subcommittee.
The Chair and Vice Chair will have a concurrent four-year term. In the absence of the Chair and Vice Chair, the Subcommittee shall appoint an Acting Chair.
The Subcommittee Chair or Vice Chair will present the Subcommittee’s reports and recommendations to the Municipality's Community & Economic Development Advisory Committee, Committee of the Whole or Council, as required.
The Subcommittee may invite additional content experts to attend regular meetings and to present at specific meetings in order to meet its mandate.
The Subcommittee shall meet once every month, with additional special meetings of the Committee as required by the Chair.
Quorum of the Subcommittee shall be a majority of the appointed members in attendance in person.
Votes by the Subcommittee will be held at regular or special meetings. Decision making of the group shall be by majority vote of those in attendance. Votes may not take place unless quorum has been achieved.
Planning & Development – The Director is responsible to ensure that all associated legislative responsibilities to the Subcommittee are fulfilled.
Municipal staff shall provide minute taking and agenda preparation and distribution in conjunction with the Chairperson.
The Subcommittee will prepare an annual budget for individual projects or tasks to be undertaken in any year. The Director of Planning & Development shall bring forward budget requests of the Subcommittee as part of the Municipal budget process.
Current Committee Members
Meagan Warren - Chair
Scott Waldron - Vice Chair
Council Member Liaison