The Municipality is working closely with our local public health agency and partners to take the necessary precautions to respond to this situation.
I want to reinforce that the health and safety of North Grenville residents, business owners and our Municipal staff is our top priority. Our approach will be prudent, proactive and will evolve as things develop.
In light of the fact that Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer has strongly recommended against public gatherings of 250 or more, we have made some difficult but necessary decisions.
The Municipality of North Grenville is closing all municipal facilities for three weeks in an effort to minimize the potential spread of COVID-19 in the community. This follows a similar announcement by the City of Ottawa earlier today.
Effective immediately (Friday, March 13th at 5 p.m.), all municipal led recreational activities, including skating and movies are cancelled.
As of Monday, March 16 to Sunday, April 5, municipal ice arenas, the municipal theatre, meeting spaces, Maplewood Hall and the Armory, will be closed.
Consequently, all public events have been cancelled in municipal facilities, including events scheduled by third-party organizers during this time. Organizers with questions about smaller gatherings in the community are encouraged to contact their local public health unit for guidance.
Council is also suspending all Municipal Advisory Committee Meetings and public Discussion Forums until April 5th.
However, Municipal Council meetings will proceed and we encourage the public to watch online.
Municipal Offices remain open:
Each of our Municipal Departments is also working hard to maintain a high level of customer service.
We would like to encourage residents who need to visit our offices to please call or email first if they have questions related to municipal operations. Staff phone extensions and email addresses are located on the staff page. Links to our online payment services are available on the website.
For those visiting North Grenville’s municipal offices:
- We have increased the frequency with which we clean the Municipal Centre including high traffic areas (door handles, railings, bathrooms)
- We have added additional hand sanitizer stations throughout the Municipal Centre Buildings (including all entrances)
- A dedicated team is proactively meeting to monitor the level of risk associated with COVID-19 and ensure the procedures that we are implementing are appropriate and are communicated to our municipal employees and residents of North Grenville.
The Municipality will continue to respond to the latest developments around COVID-19, and will keep you informed and updated as the situation evolves.
Protecting yourself and your community:
- Please remember that the most effective way to reduce the spread of germs are things you can help control:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hands
- If possible, stay home if you are sick
- Avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
We want to assure our residents that we are working closely with our local and regional partners and appreciate their collaboration and cooperation to date.
We are a strong and caring community and the well-being of residents and business owners is paramount during this challenging time.
Mayor Nancy Peckford