ng logo

Frequently Asked Questions (Water Billing)

How are bills calculated?

Everyone is charged a base rate in addition to consumption charges. Consumption is calculated in cubic meters.

What is a base rate?

A base rate is the minimum water/wastewater service rate per independent residential unit or independent non-residential unit per month and includes 5 cubic meters as a minimum amount of water to be provided by the system.

When am I charged for consumption?

Consumption charges will apply once you have used more than the cubic meters included in your base rate.

What if I move in the middle of a billing period?

If you move in the middle of a billing period your bill will be prorated to account for the actual days you are responsible for during the billing period.

What if it is not possible to read my meter?

The Municipality reserves the right to estimate water/sewer bills when it is not possible to read the meters due to malfunctioning equipment, snow or other inclement weather. When meters are not read, the bills will be estimated based on the customer’s average usage for the previous 12 months. Special meter readings and subsequent adjustments when the estimated bill is larger than expected will not be permitted. As the estimated bill is based on average use, it should adjust automatically for the next billing.

How can I receive my bill?

Water/sewer bills are mailed usually within the first 7 days of the month.

You can also receive your bill via e-mail. If you would like to receive your bill by e-mail, please send your request to the Water Billing Clerk . Please include your name, your account number, your civic address and the e-mail address you would like your bills e-mailed to.

What if I do not receive my bill?

If you do not receive your bill by the 10th of the month, contact the Water Billing Clerk by e-mail or phone at 613-258-9569 ext. 104 to get a copy of your bill. The Municipality will not write off penalties because you do not receive your bill.

What are the water/wastewater rates?

The rates are set by By-Law 63-12. See Schedule B of By-Law 63-12

What if I change my banking information?

Send change to the Water Billing Clerk.  Please include:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Account Number
  • A copy of a void cheque

What if I mail my cheque and the municipality gets it after the due date?

The municipality goes by the date the payment is received, not the date it is mailed or the date on the cheque.

What if my payment is returned?

The municipality charges a fee of $30 for returned payments or for pre-authorized payments that are not processed by the bank.

What causes large increases in my water bill?

There are several factors that may contribute to a fluctuating water bill, including:

  • high consumption due to additional appliances (i.e., dishwasher)
  • increased lawn or garden watering
  • leaking plumbing fixtures
  • a billing adjustment from an actual meter reading after several months of estimates

Can I request my water be shut off?

Yes. There is a $50 disconnection fee to shut the water off and another $50 reconnection fee when the water is turned back on.

When the water has been shut off as requested by owner, the billing stops until the water is turned back on.

Water Billing Contacts

  • Macpherson, Karen

    Water Wastewater Clerk

    613-258-9569 ext 104

  • Lang-Wilson, Mary

    Senior Client Service Representative

    613-258-9569 ext 120