*NEW* Diaper Collection Pilot Program - Click HERE for more details
Change has come to your waste collection program
Beginning February 1, 2021, the new waste, recycling and organics collection program began in the Municipality of North Grenville. The enhanced program includes separated organics collection (Green bin), as well as seasonal curbside pick-up of leaf and yard waste and large and bulky items. Solid waste (garbage) collection will be bi-weekly (every other week). Recycling remains the same.
Emterra Environmental, the waste management contractor, is responsible for all aspects of North Grenville’s curbside program, including waste, recycling, and organics. If you have any questions or concerns regarding collection or missed collection, please contact Emterra Environmental directly at: 1-855-532-7555.
Changes to residential waste collection in North Grenville include:
- biweekly solid waste collection
- weekly organics collection (Green bin)
- curbside leaf and yard waste collection (4x per year)
- bulky item collection (4x per year)
- (recycling collection will remain the same)
Key information for residents to prepare for the New Waste, Recycling and Organics Collection Program:
All residences received one free green bin. Any newly built homes in 2021 are eligible for one free green bin. Please call Public Works at 613-258-9569 ext. 133 to arrange your green bin pick-up. To purchase a second green bin, they are for sale at the Municipal Centre, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm. Green bins are $15 (plus tax).and the smaller kitchen bins are $3 (plus tax).
For residents living in apartment and multi-units, please contact your property manager for details on organics collection. Each multi-unit residential building will handle waste and organics collection differently.
The new bag tag fee structure:
- solid waste bag tag fee of ($2.75)
- a bulky item bag tag fee ($12.50)
- a leaf and yard waste bag tag fee ($1.00)
There is NO bag tag requirement for the weekly organic (green bin) pick-up.
The 30-day grace period for the use of the old/remaining bag tags has now passed. Please bring old bag tags to Municipal Centre for a refund. (Please check Municipal Centre hours). There is no deadline for which to exchange or get a refund on old bag tags.
The new bag tag fees are designed to offset the cost of the enhanced waste management program, including organics collection, yard waste and bulky items resulting in no additional tax dollars being utilized for the program.
Why is North Grenville Changing its Waste Management Program?
- With well over 50 percent of organic waste in North Grenville going to landfill, the new organics and yard waste program will significantly reduce the costs associated with shipping waste to landfills in Moose Creek.
- From 2013 to 2018, there was an increase of over 300 tonnes of garbage collected in North Grenville, resulting in increased shipping costs and tipping fees, as well as a growing recognition that backyard composting isn’t a sufficient option for many residents in our community.
- The Ontario Government is in the process of implementing the Waste Free Ontario Act. The Act aims to achieve a target of 30% diversion of waste from landfills by 2020 and 50% by 2030. Further, the province plans to ban organic material from going to all landfills in Ontario in the foreseeable future.