NORTH GRENVILLE, ON – The North Grenville Fire Service is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week (FPW), October 9-15, 2022.
This year’s FPW campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape”, works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe from home fires.
“It’s important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape. Everyone needs to be prepared in advance, so that they know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds. Given that every home is different, every home fire escape plan will also be different,” said Fire Chief John Okum. “Have a plan for everyone in the home. Children, older adults, and people with disabilities may need assistance to wake up and get out. Make sure that someone will help them!”
North Grenville Fire Service shares these key home fire escape planning tips:
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. (Practice at least once during the day and at night).
The NGFS is hosting a series of events in October in support of Fire Prevention Week:
- “Fill the Boot campaign” on Friday October 7th from 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Firefighters will be passing the boot at Station 1 and other locations to collect donations for Muscular Dystrophy – a 66-year-old Firefighter tradition.
- School visits and “Win a ride to school in a firetruck” contest for all Grade 4 students in North Grenville.
- Open House Station 1 on Wednesday October 12th from 6-8pm. Meet your North Grenville Firefighters, see the firetrucks, and spray some water. There will be a ladder truck presentation and a portable fire extinguisher challenge. Visit the fire prevention table for fire safety information and say hello to Sparky.
- Closing out the week, firefighters will be at the Kemptville 73’s home game on October 14th at 7:30pm.
To find out more about Fire Prevention Week programs and activities in North Grenville, please contact Fire Prevention Officer Shannon Armitage at
For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and fire prevention, visit fpw.org and sparky.org.
- 30 -