Severances (Consents)

A "Consent to Sever" (Severance) is required if you want to sell (sever) or mortgage a portion of your land or enter into an agreement or lease for a period of 21 years or more. There are also other circumstances in which a Consent is required; your lawyer can help you to determine if a Consent is necessary. Sometimes another form of land division approval such as Subdivision or Part-lot Control By-law may be more appropriate.

The requirement for a Severance helps to ensure that development occurs in a controlled and orderly way, and that proper servicing is in place to accommodate it.


An application for a Consent can be made to the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville Consent Granting Authority in Brockville who are the Approval Authority. You will be required to complete an application form for the parcel you wish to sever, and submit it with a lot plan indicating the property you own and the lot you intend to sever, along with the appropriate fee (see Fee Schedule).

However, applicants are advised to pre-consult with the Municipality of North Grenville prior to filing a formal application with the United Counties' Consent Granting Authority by contacting This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. It may also be beneficial to refer your proposal to the Municipality's Development Review Team as part of the pre-consultation process.


Completed applications and all required supporting information should be filed with:

Consent Granting Authority
United Counties of Leeds & Grenville
25 Central Avenue West, Suite 100
Brockville, ON
K6V 4N6

Phone: 613-342-3840 (x 2414)
Fax: 613-432-3069

At the time of filing, the application fee for the United Counties must be paid. In addition, some review agencies also charge Review Fees which must be paid at the same time. North Grenville's Consent Review Fee can be found on their Fee Schedule [Link]. Other agencies which charge Consent Review Fees include:

Rideau Valley Conservation Authority for properties with the Rideau River watershed

South Nation Conservation Authority for properties with the South Nation River watershed

Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit for developments proposed on private well and septic services

The Consent Granting Authority staff will circulate a Notice of your application to the surrounding property owners within 60 metres of the property to which the application applies, as well as other departments and agencies. You will be required to post a sign on your property advising of the Consent Application.

A Public Hearing of the Consent Granting Authority will be held, at which time you will be able to make an oral presentation. The decision of the Authority is subject to a 20-day appeal period. Approval may also be subject to certain conditions which must be fulfilled within a 1 year time period.

ng logo white

Accessibility Statement

Municipal Office
285 County Road #44,
PO Box 130
Kemptville, ON K0G 1J0

Monday through Friday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm

General Inquiries

Arena Staff (business hours)
613-258-9569 ext 141 or 175

Arena Staff (evenings/weekends)
613-316-2451 or 613-316-5010

After-hours Emergency Number

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.